Pavilion to Usher in Light - Forbidden City

In the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) the hall was called the Pavilion of High Expectations, but the name was changed in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It faces the Hill of Accumulated Elegance. In the Qing Dynasty the emperor's concubines were selected in this hall. Various emperors including Qiánlóng (乾隆 1735-1796), Dàoguāng (道光 1820-1850), and Xiánfēng (咸豐 1850-1861) used it as a study and retreat to write poetry and practice calligraphy. Emperor Jiāqìng (嘉慶 1796-1820) used it to store over 10,000 calligraphic scrolls written by various emperors.
Last update: May 2007
© Marilyn Shea, 2007