Previous 上一页 Home 主页 Next 下一页

Forbidden City
故宫博物院
Pavilion of Ten Thousand Springs 万春亭

Constructed during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this pavilion lies on the east side of the garden. In Chinese astrology the east is traditionally the direction of spring and renewal. The roof is topped by a round crown with cloud shapes jutting from two sides. The top story is round while the base is square. Covered porches extend from the four sides giving the structure a cross shape. The pavilion shares its name with the central pavilion on Jingshan hill to the north of the Imperial Palace. Perhaps for that reason the Palace Museum is using the translation "Pavilion of Myriad Springs" in some of its literature.











China Index >> History of Beijing in Pictures >> Forbidden City >> Imperial Garden

Click on a picture or use the arrows at the top to navigate through the site.

http://hua.umf.maine.edu/China/HistoricBeijing/Forbidden_City/index.html
Last update: January 2010
© Marilyn Shea, 2009