The arrow tower at Guangqumen in the 1920s. Below, map showing the location.
The Guanqumen Gate is to the south of Dongbianmen and gives access to the Outer City. In 1553 the city walls were expanded under the reign of the Jiajing emperor of the Ming Dynasty. Seven gates were designed to give access to the new section. The design of the city followed the design of the character "凸" (tū) with the larger portion to the south of the original capital city. Later, under the Manchu dynasty, the new section would be called the Chinese City or Outer City because only members of the Manchu tribes could reside in the Tartar or Inner City. The Chinese were restricted to the Outer City.
Last update: May 2011
© Marilyn Shea, 2011