|Looking to the east along Zhushikou (珠市口 Zhūshìkǒu), there is mixed retail and wholesale space. A little further down the street, the emphasis is on wholesale markets.
Zhushikou (珠市口 Zhūshìkǒu) was originally called Zhushikou (猪市口 Zhūshìkǒu) when it was built in the Ming dynasty (1368-1644). The sound is the same, but the original character means "pig". There was a large pig market and slaughter houses in the area, so the street was called "pig market". In the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), the market was moved and the name was changed to 珠市口which means "pearl market".
Last update: August 2009
© Marilyn Shea, 2009