|After the renovations in 1915-1916, the Archery Tower was used for many functions and stores were added. In 1928 it was used as an exhibition space for products for export. In the 1930s a movie theater was added. The theater was used for live performances, as well.
In 1949, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) entered through the gate for Mao Zedong's announcement of the formation of the People's Republic of China. The PLA occupied the Archery Tower until 1980, when it was opened again to visitors.
In 1976 there was a major earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale in Tangshan (唐山), east of Beijing. The damage in Beijing was also extensive. The Archery Tower was severely damaged. Repairs were made but in 1989, the Cultural Relics Committee raised 1,600,000 RMB (234,000 USD) to make extensive repairs and redecoration. It received a face-lift in time for the Olympic Games in 2008.
Last update: August 2009
© Marilyn Shea, 2009