|It wasn't until 1918 that land was donated at the present site and a new monastery begun. It wasn't ready for occupation until 1924 and was completed in 1928.
During the Japanese occupation from 1937 to 1945, Master Ying Ci (1873―1965) refused several requests from the Japanese to preside over Buddhist ceremonies. In spite of this, the temple survived.
After 1949, the monks were uncertain of their future, but in 1952 the Shanghai Municipal Government gave them funds to repair and refurbish the temple buildings.
China Index >> History of Shanghai and Suzhou Region >> Jade Buddha Temple
Click on a picture or use the arrows at the top to navigate through the site.
Last update: February 2007
© Marilyn Shea 1996, 1999, 2002, 2007