People work hard in China. On every side there is evidence that they have done so for thousands of years. The fruit vendor rearranging his produce after each sale to make an attractive display, the chatter of bargaining in the free markets, the groaning loads of coal, pipe, brick, and recycled cardboard in every sort of conveyance from the semi-trailer to the horse cart to the back of a man, all add to the background din of large machinery and hammers creating new towers to add to the Beijing sky. These are the sounds of today and they were the sounds of Beijing when the Ming dynasty rebuilt the city in its own image.
The city of the Ming Dynasty, it is a city of ceremony and the history of power. Includes the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, and other places around Beijing and a bit of history about each. Includes text links to further pictures.
- HISTORY OF BEIJING IN PICTURES
- HISTORY OF CHINESE ASTRONOMY 中国天文学
- DETAILS AT FORBIDDEN CITY
- HAN FUNERIAL OBJECTS
- BABAOSHAN REVOLUTIONARY CEMETERY 八宝山革命公墓
- HISTORY OF THE BEIJING UNDERGROUND CITY 北京地下城
- HISTORY OF QIANMEN DAJIE 前门大街 AND DAZHALAN OR DASHILA JIE 大栅栏街 FROM 1880 TO 2004 AND THE DESTRUCTION AND REBUILDING IN 2008.
- HISTORY OF WHITE CLOUD TEMPLE BAIYUN GUAN 白云观
- MARCO POLO BRIDGE LIONS 卢沟桥的狮子
- HISTORY OF LUGOUQIAO - MARCO POLO BRIDGE 卢沟桥的历史
- JADE OBJECTS FROM THE HISTORY OF BEIJING AT THE CAPITAL MUSEUM 首都博物馆
- ACTIVE BEIJING
The streets are full of life: markets, shops, and people. We were given presentations on art and calligraphy and a demonstration of acupuncture. Includes text links to further pictures.
- PICTURES OF ACTIVITIES IN BEIJING
- MORNING MARKET BEFORE SPRING FESTIVAL
- SPRING FESTIVAL DINNER - MAKING DUMPLINGS
- SPRING FESTIVAL TEMPLE FAIR AT DITAN - TEMPLE OF EARTH 庙会地坛
- SPRING FESTIVAL TEMPLE FAIR AT LONGTAN HU PARK - DRAGON LAKE PARK - 龙潭湖公园庙会
- LANTERN FESTIVAL 元宵节 FIREWORKS - LARGE DESKTOP IMAGES FOR WALLPAPER
- CHERRY BLOSSOMS, YU YUAN TAN PARK 玉渊潭公园
- SHEPHERD'S FIELD CHILDREN'S VILLAGE ORPHANAGE
- GREAT WALL FARM YARD
- GREAT WALL VILLAGE
- GRINDING CORN WITH DONKEY POWER
- HISTORY AND BACKGROUND CHINESE YO-YO 空竹
- MAKING ZONGZI 粽子 POETRY OF QU YUAN 屈原
- HISTORY OF THE BEIJING ZOO 北京动物园 AND PICTURES OS PANDAS, LIONS, TIGERS, COATI, KANGAROOS
- THE GREAT WALL
The earth moving equipment included buckets and wheeled carts; intelligence created monuments to last the ages. A short history of the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs. Includes text links to further pictures.
- THE GREAT WALL IN PICTURES
Ancient Chang'an, the city of the Silk Road. A city whose history begins over 7,000 years ago. The Banpo village, Little and Big Goose Pagodas, Terra-cotta Soldiers, a wonderful bazaar, and the countryside. Includes text links to further pictures.
- XI'AN IN PICTURES
- SHAANXI LOESS PLATEAU - HISTORY AND BACKGROUND, 黄土高坡的陕西
- BANPO VILLAGE - THE YANGSHAO NEOLITHIC CULTURE, 半坡文化
- THE TERRACOTTA WARRIORS AND HORSES, 兵马俑 SHI HUANG DI, 始皇帝
- THE TERRACOTTA WARRIORS AND HORSES MUSEUM, 秦始皇兵马俑博物馆
- TERRACOTTA FACTORY, 兵马俑工厂
- POMEGRANATE, 石榴 SILK ROAD AND TRADE IN THE HAN DYNASTY
- FAMEN TEMPLE, 法门寺
- TANG COSTUME AT THE TANG DYNASTY MUSEUM, 唐朝美术博物馆
- BIG WILD GOOSE PAGODA, 大雁塔
- SMALL WILD GOOSE PAGODA, 小雁塔
- XI'AN CITY WALL. 西安城墙
- XI'AN BELL TOWER, 西安钟楼
- FOREST OF STELES, 碑林
- XI'AN MARKETS, 西安市场
- XI'AN JIAOZI - DUMPLINGS, 西安饺子
- SHAANXI PROVINCIAL HISTORY MUSEUM, 陕西历史博物馆
Shanghai exploded from a small port in the 1800s, the early 1900s, and again today into one of busiest and largest ports in the world. The old city, the Jade Buddha, bird market, modern Shanghai. Includes text links to further pictures.
- SHANGHAI - THE BUND, PUDONG, CHILDREN'S PALACE - MODERN SHANGHAI IN PICTURES
- NANJING ROAD, SHANGHAI 南京路
- PEOPLE'S PARK, 人民公园
- SHANGHAI MUSEUM 上海博物馆
- HISTORY OF THESHANGHAI BUND WITH A KEY TO THE BUILDINGS 上海滩
- SHANGHAI PUDONG 上海浦东
- SHANGHAI TEXTILE INDUSTRY 上海纺织产业
- CHILDREN'S PALACE, SHANGHAI 少年宫,上海
- SELECTED PAINTINGS FROM THE SHANGHAI MUSEUM
- SELECTED CALLIGRAPHY FROM THE SHANGHAI MUSEUM
- SELECTED FURNITURE FROM THE SHANGHAI MUSEUM
- SHANGHAI AND SUZHOU II - TONGLI, YU YUAN, JADE BUDDHA TEMPLE - HISTORY IN PICTURES
- JIANGNAN 江南 - WEST OF SHANGHAI
- SUZHOU AREA - ALONG THE GRAND CANAL
- SUZHOU AND TIGER HILL
- JIANGNAN 江南 - TONGLI VILLAGE
- YUYUAN AREA
- HISTORY OF YUYUAN GARDEN
- HISTORY OF JADE BUDDHA TEMPLE
- BIBLIOGRAPHY OF CHINESE HISTORY
A selection of recent titles (since the early 1980s), most are in English. Topical bibliographies of science, Hong Kong, economics, and others.
- THE POETRY OF BEI DAO
A reading by Bei Dao, March 1996. English translations provided in the Flash movies. You will need Flash 6 or better to view the Flash movies and Real Movie Player to see the video.
- CALLIGRAPHY DENG JING REN
Stone Carving by Deng Jing Ren combines the arts of calligraphy, painting, sculpture, and miniaturization.
The art of miniature calligraphy carved into stone goes back centuries. Calligraphers also used ivory, bone, and other soft materials to achieve even smaller characters. Stone carving is difficult because the stone has brittle layer characteristics.
- CHINESE BRONZES
Chinese bronzes from Yunnan Province dating to the Warring States through the Han periods.
- CHINESE PAINTING
Selected Chinese paintings from the Tang through Qing Dynasties.
- CHINESE CALLIGRAPHY
Selected Chinese calligraphy from the Shang through Qing Dynasties. Examples of oracle bone, seal, official or clerical, cursive or grass and regular scripts from over 30 different artists.
- MING FURNITURE
The prosperity of the Ming dynasty allowed a new focus on the home and on home decorating. Furniture rose to an art form.
- 99 CHINESE KITES 中国的风筝
99 Chinese Kites 中国的风筝 illustrate the art and sport of kite making and kite flying.
- JADE COLLECTION AT THE CAPITAL MUSEUM
The jade collection at the Capital Museum in Beijing displays jades tied to the history of Beijing.
- SHAANXI PROVINCIAL HISTORY MUSEUM, 陕西历史博物馆
The history of Shaanxi and of China itself is represented in the collection of the Shaanxi History Museum. Xi'an and Shaanxi have been central to the history of China since the Paleolithic Era. The skull of the Lantian Man begins the collection which carries through to the porcelains of the Qing Dynasty.
MANDARIN CHINESE -- SPOKEN LANGUAGE
- TING - THE CHINESE EXPERIENCE
TING - THE CHINESE EXPERIENCE - TEXT INDEX
Learning Chinese? Learning English? Just want to say a few words? Native speakers will help you listen and learn. Create an account, study the words you want to learn, play some games, listen to some stories...
- TING - TOPICS IN CHINESE ENGLISH
Listen to Mandarin Chinese, practice speaking, learn new sentences. Topics include computers, weather, money, the four tones, practice with pinyin... then go to review pages for English, Chinese, Pinyin, and Sound.
- SEARCH THE DATABASE
Ting is a database of basic vocabulary and sentences. You can search the database in English, Chinese characters, or pinyin. If you can't type Chinese characters, you can copy them from the pages of Ting and enter them into the search box. You don't need to login to look things up, but you will need to have an account if you want to save your search results.
Login or open a new account in Ting. With an account, you can choose sentences and words to study, get review sheets, flash cards and quizzes based on your words.
If you want to try it out type demo in both the username and password boxes.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR TING - THE CHINESE EXPERIENCE
Instructions for listening to mpeg Layer 3 sound files, reading Chinese on the Internet, and suggestions for studying Chinese.
- MANDARIN CHINESE - ENGLISH DATABASE
A downloadable database of the vocabulary from the Reader Series (Beijing Language Institute) built with Paradox.
- ABOUT MONEY
What are the monetary units in the United States and China -- how are they used?
- LEARN TO COUNT IN CHINESE
Count from 1 to Quadrillion in Chinese. Multiply, count by two, three, and then play a game to see how fast you can count. You will need Flash 6 or better to view the Flash Movies.
- CONVERSION TABLES FOR CHINESE RMB AND US DOLLARS
Several conversion tables are given to help the traveler.
- THE EXCHANGE PROGRAM BETWEEN UMF AND BEIJING POYTECHNIC
Over thirteen years of faculty and student exchanges during the semester and as part of the summer exploration program.
- TEACH AT BEIJING POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
An opportunity to teach English in China.
- MAP OF CHINA
Move your mouse over the provinces, click on a province to get more information and links to sound files at the top of the page.
- TABLE OF PROVINCES
- MAP OF THE UNITED STATES
Move your mouse over the states, click on a state to get more information and links to sound files at the top of the page.
- TABLE OF STATES
Some information about the China Experience.
- Guest Book
Come in, make yourselves at home. Relax, leave a message, talk with one another, exchange information.
- If you want to jump, try these. . .
Links to other pages.
- UMF Online
The University of Maine at Farmington
Comments to: Marilyn Shea, Department of Psychology
University of Maine at Farmington, Farmington, ME 04938
Last update: FEBRUARY 2006
© Marilyn Shea 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006